Where can homeless children and youth attend school?
• The school in which the child or youth was last enrolled (school of origin).
• The school in the attendance area where the child or youth is temporarily living.
Can students experiencing homelessness be denied enrollment if the parent/guardian does not have proof of residency?
No. The parent/guardian may sign an affidavit stating that the family is staying in temporary accommodations.
What if the parent/guardian does not have the school records for a child experiencing homelessness?
• Ask that the homeless child or youth be enrolled in school until the records arrive.
• Ask that a student's immunization records be transferred over the phone from the sending school to the receiving school.
• Contact the Wayne County McKinney Project, your school district, principal, counselor, or local homeless education liaison with any concerns.
How long is a student considered homeless?
A student is homeless until the end of the school year in which they receive permanent housing.